10/10/09

Oct 7 (Wed) - Triglav NP, Kobarid, Bovec

[Note: this entry was lost while in the process of loading originally and is consequently out of date sequence]

Today we were scheduled to drive along the most spectacular stretch of Alpine scenery in Slovenia, through the Vrsic Pass into Triglav National Park area.

Unfortunately, because of the soft roadway causes lateral twists on the bus's frame, there is possibilty of cracking the windows. So instead we took a more circuitous route via Italy and back into Slovenia via the Predil Pass.


We then followed the Soca River to the Trenta Museum dedicated to the geology, flora, fauna and history of Triglav National Park. It also has an exhibit dedicated to the mountain guides,
shepherds and woodsmen of the region.

Our next stop was Kobarid, first to have lunch and then to visit the excellent Kobarid Museum. The museum has won the Council of Europe prize for Best Museum, and draws over
60,000 visitors annually. The museum is dedicated to the Isonzo or Soca Front, which witnessed some of the greatest mountain battles in history. Hundreds of thousands were killed here during 1915-1917; Ernest Hemingway described the Italian retreat in his book, "A Farewell to Arms".


After the museum, we went up to the Italian Charnel house and Church of St. Antony, located on a hill above Kobarid town. It houses the bones of over 7,000 Italian soldiers killed here during World War I.


After our visit, we drove back to the pretty town of Bovec nestled in the Soca Valley and near the Kanin ridge, for our overnight.

Supper was a la carte so I had the rumpsteak with gorganzola sauce - odlično! (delicious)

-- Post From My iPhone

4 comments:

  1. I should have given you a tip. After losing an entry the same way, I learned to always save a draft before uploading. Sorry!

    Funny, I had steak with Gorgonzola that night too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I've been creating all text in a Note since, and then copying to Blogspot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can even save draft in Blogger - worked great for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was saving drafts in Blogger the whole time. As you probably know, once you post it, it is no longer on the iPhone. The problem happened when I
    submitted to post and my time ran out waiting for connection to take place - then the text was no longer on the iPhone or in
    Blogger where I could edit it as required even from an on-line terminal.

    ReplyDelete