10/8/09

Oct 8 (Thur) - Predjama - Piran

[Note: I had a lot of problems yesterday trying to post from Bovec - the service kept complaining about size of pix so I removed one after another 'til there were none left ... and then my time ran out.]

[Same today - I'm removing pix.]

Driving the along the banks of the emerald-green Soça River, we made our way out of Alpine territory on an overcast morning.

Our first stop was Predjama Castle, located in the middle of an overhanging, limestone cliff, in the entrance of a cave. The cave was utlitised by a robber baron from 15th century to carry out raids on rich merchants and nobles.



We then continued on to Piran, located on Slovenia's tiny strip of Adriatic coast on the Istrian penninsula ... just in time for the sun to come out, full force.

The town reflects its Venetian heritage with narrow streets and compact houses giving the town its special charm.

After time for lunch on our own (they have Doner Kabobs here too!) on the main square, our guide led us in a leisurely walking tour of Piran followed by time on our own. We took the opportunity of the free time to visit the Maritime Museum.


Our group supper was at a restaurant along the waterfront. We then had the 'opportunity' to attend a rock concert in Tartini Square - it's going on
directly outside our hotel room window as I post this entry.

-- Post From My iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment